Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Soul and Body — November 22nd, 2020 "Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JoanneF
    Participant

“…know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?” (I Corinthians 6:19)

This question was asked twice in the Lesson, so it really made me stop short. It is a truth that the practitioner here has often driven home to me when I have asked for help in losing weight and controlling my eating habits. I’ve tried every diet imaginable, and always without permanent success, because I’ve started from the wrong basis — matter and human will. Thanks to practitioner support, I realize now that I need to see my body as a divine idea, “the temple of the Holy Ghost,” — not a physicality, overweight, underweight, or “conformed to this world” in any way. I realize now that my body doesn’t belong to me, but to God, so I should not mistreat it by putting anything into it, or doing anything to it, that is not blessed and approved of God. Further in the lesson, it says, “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed (and that includes eating), do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” (Colossians 3:17) What a great thing to remember at our Thanksgiving meal next week.

This was such a wonderful awakening for me, and I thank the practitioner and this week’s lesson-writer for driving it home to me.

parthens
    Participant

TWO VIEWS OF BODY – SENSE’S OR SOUL’S

Excerpt, Science and Health, 1875 edition, p. 41:

The most scientific man of whom we have any record, Jesus of Nazareth, called the mortal body that we suppose substance, “ghost”; and his body that others called spirit, “flesh and bones”; showing that substance to his understanding was the deathless Principle that embraces man and is forever inseparable from Soul. But the Jews, strongly material, called the real idea of God, even the body that was not matter, a spirit or ghost; and the body they laid in a sepulchre, substance. By this error they lost logic and Truth, therefore lost sight of Jesus at the very moment when he presented more than ever the real idea of God, and because of this belief, the idea was taken from them. The higher he wrought the problem of being through spiritual science, the more odious he became to the materialistic world that understood him not. Life, Intelligence and substance to them were matter, but to him they were God, the Truth of man; therefore he reckoned himself not matter but Spirit; not sense, but Soul. Said he, “Spirit hath not flesh and bones as ye see me have,” but this he said three days after his burial, before relinquishing the belief of substance-matter; after that, his disciples even could not see him.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.